Welcome to the Newberry’s Employment Opportunities page. Positions for which the Newberry is currently accepting applications are listed below. Positions will remain posted until filled or until a sufficient pool of qualified candidates has been established.
Unless otherwise directed in the job posting, please send cover letter and résumé to the Human Resources Director. When emailing, please combine cover letter and résumé as one Word or PDF document and submit that document as an email attachment.
Human Resources Director
The Newberry Library
60 West Walton Street
Chicago, IL 60610-7324
Fax: (312) 255-3509
No phone calls please.
In addition to accepting résumés for current vacancies, we keep a file of general and specific inquiries regarding employment at the Newberry. General inquiries should include a preference of position, department and hours (part-time or full-time.) Résumés are kept on file for six months.
We thank you for your interest in employment opportunities at the Newberry.
The Newberry is an equal opportunity employer.
Department: Information Technology
Summary: The Webmaster will administer and maintain the infrastructure of all Newberry websites. This will include management of content, information architecture, and software updates. The Webmaster will also oversee the creation of new web services and the incorporation of new technologies, provide training in the use of the Content Management System, and work with others to coordinate and develop web content on a variety of hosted sites.
- Work with the Director of IT to maintain the web services infrastructure;
- Research, develop, and maintain partnerships with contractors and vendors for the hosting and development of Newberry web content;
- Consider and make recommendations about website innovations and work with other staff, institutional partners, and web services vendors to implement changes;
- Consult in the selection of and best practices for web-based software and services;
- Work with the Director of Digital Initiatives and Services on the development of content and web services on externally hosted sites;
- Work with Director of Digital Initiatives and Services, archivists, and senior staff to sustain web resources through maintenance, archiving, and decommissioning;
- Coordinate the integration of Newberry web resources and promote standards representing institution-wide perspectives and goals;
- Administer access to web resources, monitor content and branding, and train Newberry staff in the editing process;
- Assist the Director of Communications and Editorial Services in the use of Newberry social media sites to meet general communications objectives;
- Assist staff in the development of website proposals.
- BA in IT related field or equivalent experience;
- Quick thinking, attention to detail, and a willingness to learn;
- Professional attitude and clear communication skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work with a wide range of staff;
- Initiative to create and manage tasks and projects in a timely fashion;
- Basic social media and information architecture experience;
- Experience with Drupal strongly preferred;
- Familiarity with web technologies such as IIS, Apache, MySQL, Omeka, and/or Scalar a plus.
Schedule: Full-time, 35 hours per week. Exempt position.
Benefits: Group life, health, dental, and vision insurance; fifteen vacation days first year and twenty days thereafter, two personal days and paid holidays annually; long term disability, long term care and retirement plan match available after one year of service.
Date Posted: July 3, 2018
Date Available: Immediately